Today I read a quite good article about Sitemaps on http://blog.referralcandy.com/.
According to the Google help files for sitemaps, you could list up to 50,000 files in an individual sitemap, which would cover almost every website, except very large portals.
However it is a much more effective and easier to maintain configuration to use multiple sitemaps – but use the sitemap index map first ( WordPress SEO plugin will help you with it)
- Products Only – this XML file will list only individual products and will be modified as new products are added/removed.
- Categories Only – this XML file will have only the category or department pages.
- Images – this XML file will have the images only
- Video – this XML file will have the videos only
- Mobile – mobile website sitemap XML
- News – news XML
If you have multiple stores on one platform like Magento, you should add following e-commerce sitemap per store:
Yoast SEO is a great free plugin for WordPress that will create in easy steps all needed sitemaps for you.
- Get more visitors from Google and Bing
- Attract more visitors from social media
- Increase your readers’ engagement
XML Sitemap Generator is a tool for all types of sitemaps, especially for huge online shops. You need to buy and install it on your hosting server.
E-commerce sitemap can be very easily generated:
- It has no limits on the number of pages included in sitemap
- It generates any kind of sitemap you require:
Text formatted sitemap
- Images information can be optionally included in an e-commerce sitemap
- It will work on all sites including dynamic websites such as portals, blogs, forums, and online stores.
- Fast and easy installation onto the same host that should be crawled
- Support of LARGE websites, dividing the sitemap into the parts per 50,000 URLs each and creates a Sitemap Index file according to the Google sitemap protocol.
- Informs (ping) Google and other search engines automatically when sitemap generation is complete
- Any broken links that are detected by the application are reported on a special page, providing you with the URLs pages that refer to these bad links enabling you to fix them and keep the search engine robots on your site.
- Can be setup automatically with a cron job to create sitemaps without any user interaction
- Free Updates for life.